know if your child is using drugs or alcohol
If you think you teen might be doing drugs, look for the following warning signs:
- Small burn on thumb and forefinger, caused by smoking a joint down to the very end.
- Drastic weight loss or gain for no reason
- Overly tired or extremely hyperactive
- Sudden increase or decrease in appetite
- Change in sleep pattern
- Red and glazed eyes
- Impaired coordination
- Wearing drug related clothing
- Increased use of
- Cloves (used to cover up the smell)
- Breath mints (excessive use of Listerine or gum to cover up the smell)
- Eye drops (used to mask bloodshot eyes, and/or dilated pupils)
- Low self esteem
- Unexplainable mood swings
- Spending all the time at home, in his/her room
- Unhappy or depressed
- General lake of interest (in school, sports, and other activities that (s)he used to enjoy)
- Over-reacts or does not care about most of the things
- Verbally or physically abusive
Friends/Family Related Changes
- Isolation from the family
- Increased secrecy about possessions and/or activities
- Lost respect for the family rules
- Sudden change in friends, clothing, or hobbies.
- Constantly giving excuses for just about everything
- Increase in borrowing money
- Seemingly talking in code/ secretively when you are around. If you hear your teen using any of the words in the list below, (s)he might be talking about the drugs.
- Marijuana: pot, weed, herb, 420, la la, Mary Jane, bud, shake, green bean, PP's, OC's
- Cocaine: white, snow, coca cola, yayo, yay, devil's dandruff, bugar sugar, sunshine, cold, winter, freeze, candy, nose, crack, base, freebase, zing, short tweak, 8-ball(as in 8th of a gram), teenager(as in 16th of a gram), salad
- Meth: Crystal, glass, upper, tina, speed
- PCP: leak, wet, sherm, illy, angel-dust, hair, dip, embalming fluid
- LSD: blotter, acid, sid, liquid, gel, si lever, squares
- Combining LSD, Acid, and Ecstasy: Candy flipping
School Related Changes
- Declining grades
- Discipline problems
- Frequently caught stealing, fighting, or cheating at school
Other Warning signs (drugs paraphernalia)
- Finding one or more of the following in your teens possession should be considered an alarming sign
- Rolling papers
- Short plastic straws
- Rolled up paper tubes
- Roach clips
- Bottles or cans with hardened glue, paint or chemical odors inside of them.
Important days to know
- June 26th has been designated International day against drugs.
- April 20th has been designated as “National Pot Smoker's Day” by some people. Every pot user is supposed to smoke a blunt (pot rolled into cigar) at 4:20PM on this date.